Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Amerigo

This past Friday hubby and I were running some errands in East Memphis and wanted to stop and grab a bite.  We decided to try Amerigo.  I just got an I-phone for Christmas and have decided that it's almost a must if you're eating out gluten free just for being able to check out menus.  I hopped online and was super excited to see that they had a gluten free menu.

I asked at the hostess station for the GF menu and they easily found one, which is usually a good sign.  And it even looked like a real menu, with prices and everything.  I've been in restaurants where they had to dig for 10 minutes before they found the GF menu, which was a many-time photocopied, wrinkled thing. 

We were seated and I started salavating over the menu items - Pasta Pomodoro and Spaghetti Alfredo - and all of it gluten free.  I was so excited.  The waitress then came to take our order and crushed my hopes by informing me that they were out of GF pasta.  I could have cried at that moment.  I was almost like my 6 year-old when he wants to do something and is told that he can't.  I pulled myself together and ordered the Veal Picatta.

It tasted pretty good, but would have been better with the pasta it was supposed to be served with.  To console myself over the missing pasta, I ordered the Peanut Butter Rocky Road Blondie.  It was super yummy.  I would have posted a photo but hubby and I had eaten half of it before I remembered to!  It was nice to be able to order a dessert and this one was super tasty.

So the moral of this GF story is not to get your hopes up about the pasta, but feel free to console yourself with some dessert.

2 comments:

  1. I've gotten the impression that calling ahead is almost a must for places that offer GF pasta. It seems to be something that they run out of (or just don't keep on-hand) frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Memphisotan, sorry for the late reply. I'll have to keep that in mind about calling ahead for next time. My crew is not much for making reservations, so I guess we need to get better about that. We usually decide where we're going to eat about five minutes before we go.

    ReplyDelete