Friday, March 29, 2013

Frida's

I am sure that many in Memphis mourned when Zinnie's East closed a while back.  Frida's, a new Frida Kahlo themed Mexican restaurant has sprung up in its place.  For those who equate Mexican food with cheap, just a heads up that while Frida's is not super expensive, it is not as cheap as any of the restaurants in town with "El" in the name.

If you have kids, be sure to make a stop at the sign/fountain at the entrance.  They'll love it.  Actually I enjoy watching the fountain too.  And if the weather is nice, grab a table on large covered patio.

Now, I have to make a confession.  When I go to Frida's, I only order one thing - the tamales.  I absolutely adore tamales.  And when one of the waiters told me they were just as good as the ones his grandmother makes back in Mexico, I was hooked.  The tamales come with a sauce that can be either mildly hot or super hot, depending on the day you order. 

 
Their refried beans are really great too.  They are super yummy.  I don't really know what else Frida's serves that is gluten free.  They probably have other options but I keep getting stuck on the tamales.  If you go there, let me know what you ordered, so I can help out those people who do not like tamales.
 
I do know that their tortilla chips are not GF because of a shared fryer, so don't snack on them.  I try to remind myself of all the calories I'm saving by not eating the chips with salsa or queso. Sometimes it satisfies me, other times I just grab some Tostitos and salsa and do the same damage at home :)
 

1 comment:

  1. Do you kmow if their cornmeal is free from cross contamination?

    ReplyDelete