Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me! - Mellow Mushroom & Mary's Gluten Free Goods

So, my birthday was two weeks ago.  How old did I turn?  29 again, of course.  Don't you know better than to ask a lady her age?  Just kidding.

Anyway, I am lucky to have a really close group of friends.  We have named ourself the Tuesday Nigh Movie Crew.  They have been very supportive of me through my Celiac Diagnosis and completely understand when I say I can/cannot eat certain things.  I also have to be nice to them because they know where I buried all the bodies!

So for my birthday one of them picked up GF pizza from Mellow Mushroom.  They got only GF pies so I wouldn't have to worry about cross contamination.  Does it get much more thoughtful than that?  Not for me.  The pizza was pretty good.  It was a middle crust - not thin like most GF pizzas, and not deep dish like real pizza.  They carried ham and pineapple, which is my favorite.  Actually, I mis-typed it in an e-mail once as "him and pineapple," so you can image the jokes that sprung from that mistake.

I also have an awesome co-worker named Claire.  She ordered GF cupcakes for me from Mary's Gluten Free Goods bakery.  If you haven't had any of Mary's GF baked goods, check out the link here.  Claire got carrot cake (my favorite) and vanilla cupcakes for me.  The whole office ate them even though they were GF and we all decided you can't really tell the difference. 

Several restaurants in town serve Mary's rolls, bread, desserts, etc.  Ones I know for sure carry her stuff include Cafe Eclectic, Fuel Cafe, Tsunami, Ciao Bella, and Cortona.  She also comes to the Downtown Farmer's Market.

All in all, it was a really nice birthday.  Stay tuned for future info on Outback Steakhouse, Huey's, Cipotle, and The Rendezvous.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Sharon, My husband and I are looking at stopping in Memphis for a couple days next week while enjoying the open roads. I am GF and looking for the 'bestest' places to try that aren't the traditional chains. What suggestions do you have? Thanks!!!

    Trayc

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the GF lifestyle going? I was also diagnosed in 2012. Along the way, I've discovered white rice/flour and xanthan gum impact me about the same as gluten does. That eliminates most "gluten free" dining out, includong my fast food fix - Wendy's chili & Frosties. They both contain xanthan gum! It's excruciatingly frustrating.

    I'm writing so much, I might as well blog it. I hope you are progressing in healing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see its been a year since your last post so don't know if you will get this or not. I opened a DEDICATED gluten free restaurant November 1st 2014 in Byhalia, Ms, about 30 minutes from mid town. hope you will visit. you can find us on face book @byhaliamagnolia or Glutenfreebyhalia. open Thursday thru Sunday 11 am to half past dark on school nights, later on Friday and Saturday...until the last person is satisfied! 662 838 2219

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monday through Friday. Please contact your Local Deli if you need immediate assistance. FEEDBACK SURVEY

    Jason’s Deli Survey

    ReplyDelete